Friday, November 05, 2021

Saturday 9

 Saturday 9: All I Have to Do Is Dream (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) Did you dream last night? My sleep has been fitful lately. Stress at work has caused me to have dreams about literally losing my way: I can't figure out how to get out of a strange house, or I've gotten confused in a new town and can't find my way back to the hotel. Never anything too scary, no real menace. But stressful and frustrating.

2) In this song, The Everly Brothers dream of kissing "lips of wine." Do you prefer red or white wine? Since menopause, I can't drink any wine any more. Even a thimbleful gives me a migraine.
 
3) In 1975, Rolling Stone ranked Phil and Don #1 on their list of the greatest duos of all time. Name another musical twosome. Salvatore Philip Bono and Cherilyn Sarkisian.
 

4) Mike Love has acknowledged the influence The Everly Brothers had on The Beach Boys' harmonies. What's your favorite Beach Boys song? Not really a Beach Boys fan. Song after song about cars and surfing. But this one has always made me happy.

 
 
5) The pressure of touring took its toll on the Everly Brothers' personal relationship, and those stresses spilled onto the stage. They once had a fight in front their audience that ended with Phil smashing his guitar and storming off. Have you ever busted something in anger? Not that I can recall. I've thrown things, and I've slammed doors. But I don't think I've broken anything.
 
6) One of Don's friends was author/storyteller Garrison Keillor and that's how the Everly Brothers came to perform on Keillor's radio program, A Prairie Home Companion. Do you often listen to the radio or to podcasts? I like TCM's The Plot Thickens and The History Chicks.
 
7) The brothers chose to live in different cities and held opposite views on politics. Don said, "Everything is different about us, except when we sing." Do you have siblings? If so, are you more alike or different? One sister is year older, the other is 8 years younger. We have very little in common.

8) In 1958, the year this song was a hit, Americans were doing the Cuban dance, the cha-cha-cha. Do you ever dance or sing when you're home alone? Yes. Badly.

 
9) Random question -- Do you believe we each get one true love? I don't think love is finite, and so I believe we can each love many times during our lives. But I think there may be one that stands apart. As John Lennon sang, "In my life, I loved you more."
 

 

11 comments:

  1. This was a fun and interesting post. I miss Sonny and Cher. I will have to check out that history podcast. I listen to a lot of different podcasts. I also have two sisters, and I am getting together with both of them, and our mother in December. We are all different politically, and I am going to be hearing a lot about about how great #45 was. Ugh. :-( Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your answer to #9 and that Lennon quote. So weird the effects menopause can have on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I have slammed a door or two. Oh yes, Sonny and Cher! I hope you start getting some better sleep. My hips have been bothering me and sometimes I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a whole bunch of podcasts that I want to listen to. I don't know why I just can't seem to click with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of the John Lennon quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice answer to #9. I think I would equate throwing something to breaking something, I just happened to throw something breakable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Sonny and Cher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your podcast choices both sound interesting. I like podcasts but never think about them since my kid stopped doing hers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if Josh would enjoy the podcasts you mentioned. I will tell him about them. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate those stress "seeking" dreams. Uggggh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #2 Red wine gives me heartburn.
    #3 I Never knew Sonny & Cher real names before, you learn som ething new every day.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.