Saturday, August 28, 2021

Saturday 9

SATURDAY 9: FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES (1990)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Garth Brooks tells us he wore boots to a black-tie affair. When did you most recently get dressed up? What did you wear? It was my niece's wedding last October. I wore a long (just past my knee) garnet-colored duster over a matching camisole, with leggings and black shoes. I like how I looked, which is nice because the outfit is in many photographs.

2
) The lyrics refer to The Oasis, which was a real bar in Concordia, Kansas. What's the name of the last bar or restaurant where you ordered a beverage? (Yes, Dunkin' counts.) Phil's. I had a margarita with salt on the rim. My friends had wine.


3) Garth was having a stellar 2021. He kicked the year off by performing "Amazing Grace" at President Biden's inauguration in January, and then over the summer he received the prestigious Kennedy Center Honor. Now that we're past the halfway mark, how's your year going? OK, I suppose. Certainly not perfect. There was my dental nightmare. I just received a email/blackmail threat (which is probably nothing, but we'll see). And my dear old tomcat Reynaldo is not well (though he is curled up with me as I post this). But this is the stuff of life, isn't it? I think covid -- and all the selfish drama junkies who insist on making uncontroversial things like wearing masks controversial -- just exacerbate the rain that simply will fall into each of our lives.
 
4) But earlier this month, Garth cancelled the remaining August and September dates of his big concert tour. He's provided refunds for the 350,000 tickets that were sold. How do you tend to react when plans change? Are you easily annoyed, or do you roll with it? Not well. I don't often change plans on other people. Give me a time and a place. I write it down. I show up. I don't understand why other people have such conflicts. Sick kids, sudden work responsibilities, I get that. But beyond that? Yeah, it makes me grumpy because I don't get it.

5) Before he sang about having friends in low places, Garth hung around in some. When he was as a struggling performer, he supported himself as a bouncer. What's the most physically taxing job you've ever had? It's not a "job," but I remember being exhausted after my now adult but then very young niece or nephew would come by for a sleepover. I don't know how you parents out there do it! Hats off to you.
 
6) According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Garth surpassed The Beatles as the top-selling recording artist of the last 30 years. Who do you listen to more often: Garth or the Beatles? No shade on Garth, but the Lads. Obviously and forever the Lads.

7) Garth and singer Trisha Yearwood have been happily married for 15 years now. Trisha says that as much as she loves her husband, his whistling drives her crazy. Come clean: what's your most annoying habit? I'm such a slob I annoy myself at times.

8) In 1990, when this song was a hit, Soviet President Gorbachev traveled first to Ottawa to meet Prime Minister Mulroney and then to Washington DC to meet President Bush. Do you have any travel plans? We want to hear about them, even if you aren't meeting any politicians or heads of state. I have reservations to spend Christmas in Key West. Of course, I did last year, too, and didn't make it. So fingers crossed!

9) Random question: Your dear friend spends weeks planning a party. After just 30 minutes, you find yourself having a terrible time. Would you leave at the earliest (polite) opportunity? Or would you stay till the bitter end out of loyalty? I would lie. I would look my dear friend in the eye,  feign tummy trouble, go home and watch a Law & Order rerun.


 

 

7 comments:

  1. Good luck on Key West, hopefully this plague will have run it course by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would DEFINITELY prefer a Law and Order rerun to a party, lol. Thank goodness for Peacock--since we cut the cord, we've been jonesing for some Law and Order. And finally found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 for the win! (Me tooooooooo!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Beatles when I was young and certain songs will always be magic. I hope you get to go to Key West, but it doesn't look good for Florida right now. Sorry about Reynaldo not doing well. Yes on some Law and Order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An email blackmail?!?! My heavens, you have such interesting goings on for an ad exec who is working from home. Re: Sergeant Pepper - I became interested in the songs and music when the BeeGees did a really bad Sergeant Pepper movie. I was probably one of 5 people to see it. I was 14 years old. The songs on the whole don't work well as singles (except Lucy in the Sky), but the album together is masterful. I always have to listen to it as a whole to get the right feel. Just one of those things, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #5...there is a saying, it is different when they are your kids. I found that to be true. I loved and still love spending time with Josh. I hate it when he stayed the night with my parents, but so glad he had those opportunities. I always felt like a piece of my heart was gone when Josh was not home. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parent days are over, but I have my grandkids quite a bit. I love them and enjoy them to death, but sometimes I am just as glad when they go home because I am EXHUASTED! There's a reason people have kids when they are young. I get the slob thing. I go in spurts where I will let things go for a stretch and then want to kick my own behind because "why didn't you keep up with it so it would be this hard to clean up?" I hope you get to go to Key West. Our daughter and sil wanted to go to the Bahamas next spring for an early 5th anniversary gift to themselves, but now they are afraid to book it with all that is going on. They will hopefully get to go somewhere in the States instead...but the way things are going, who knows.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.