Saturday, August 28, 2021

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 28

Today's happiness -- That I can. I made two people happy today with really very little effort on my part. I feel fortunate that I have the wherewithal to do these things.

1. A man who is down on his luck.  Instead of just giving a panhandler a dollar bill, I now carry zip-lock bags filled with a sealed breakfast bar, a small pack of tissues, individually wrapped cough drops and a $1. Since those incremental items (even the baggie) came from The Dollar Store, I'm really only spending a few extra cents per person, per bag. 

Anyway, I handed one to a guy who was asking for help. He was astonished. "You mean you had this ready, just in case?" 

"Yes," I said. "We never know when we'll meet a neighbor in need."

"I'm Jerry," he said and he added in a most courtly manner. "I thank you." He told me he was off to the parking kiosk to check the coin return slot.

2. My aunt.  She just had knee replacement surgery and she's in a great deal of post-op discomfort, reacting badly to her medication. She hasn't heard from her son (my cousin) or her grandchildren; they likely don't even know she went under the knife. Her aggressive Trumpiness has alienated her from those she holds dearest. If you come here often, you know I believe HRC was right: Donald Trump is a very bad man and many of his supporters are deplorable. (January 6, anyone?) But I refuse to let the malignant narcissist of Mar-a-lago hurt me anymore. He's done too much damage to us already.

So I keep the lines of communication open with my aunt. When I learned Thursday night that her recuperation wasn't going well, I went to Amazon, chose a gourmet get well present of 6 cookies in a box with a bow, and she got it today.

She praised my timing and told me my thoughtfulness really helped. It took me just a few clicks and less than $20, but it lifted her when she needed lifting.

Helping Jerry and my aunt made me happy. And fortunate myself. And it reminded me that we're all connected.

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.


1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.