Sunday, August 01, 2021

It's Who We Are

When Anthony Rizzo was traded, I heard from everybody. Former coworkers and friends reached out who I hadn't communicated with since Christmas. Snarkypants sent a card.* People who don't share my passion for baseball respected the place this Cub team and this player have in my heart.

And there was my family. It was my nephew who actually gave me the news (a one-word text: YANKEES?). My sister, which whom I have a complicated-at-best relationship, was all over my Facebook page. So was my Cousin Rose. From my dad's side of the family, I heard from both my cousin and his mom, who is my aunt/godmother. They don't talk to one another -- their relationship is a casualty of Donald Trump -- but they both reached out to me.

We are now different faiths, with some of us not worshiping at all. We certainly hold different political views. We are in different parts of the country.

But in this family, we are Cub fans. As were our parents and their parents. We're all about sunshine, ivy and the crack of the bat.


 

*OK, she sent it before the trade, but it arrived that night -- when I really needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.