Thursday, August 05, 2021

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 5

Today's happiness -- Support from an unexpected source. I posted something on Facebook today about how I struggle with pain because when I hurt, I feel like it's not so bad ... that people have endured worse ... that it's really not that big a deal ...

Sheila IM'd me. She wanted to know what to pray for to help me. She's a client I used to work with regularly until she was moved to another part of her company. She has 100s of Facebook friends and I didn't think she really read my posts.

I didn't tell her everything -- about Henry getting worse not better, about my dental travails, about my insecurity about returning to work with the Delta variant -- but I did fill her in about Reynaldo. She was very sweet, telling me to remember his whole life with me was "a double gift," to both him and me.

I didn't expect to hear from Sheila. I was warmed by how thoughtful she was. Sometimes I'm surprised when people like me. I'm like Sally Field, I guess. Remember when she won her Oscar? "You like me! You really like me!"

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always blown away when people show up out of seemingly nowhere and are kind. I fully expect people not to be nice to me, like I don't deserve it or something, which is completely ridiculous, but a terrible holdover from bad stuff. So glad Sheila reached out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that your friend stepped up to hold your hand (figuratively, anyway). We all need others in our lives to remind us that no matter how alone we feel, we're really not. I hope your heartache eases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the great friendship energy you put out to the world will be returned!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.