Sunday, November 01, 2020

The News from Wrigleyville

The Cubs resigned my favorite-most! I've been worried. The internet is abuzz with rumors and the conventional wisdom has been that no player is untradeable. I could not bear seeing Rizz in any color but Cubbie blue, so this has weighed heavily. While strictly speaking, this doesn't mean he can't be traded, it does make it less likely.

I'm not thrilled by the $16.5 million though. It's a lot of money to you and me, but not within the MLB. He's nowhere near the highest paid first baseman in the league. Or even in the division! (St. Louis' Goldschmidt makes $26 mil.) Or even in town! (The Sox' Abreu gets $17.6.)

But part of what makes Rizz so very Rizz is his approach to the money. He told reporters that he's not motivated by it -- he's "already set for life" and he "wants to be a Cub for life." I think we can all agree that he is not an especially savvy negotiator. So if he's good with $16.5, I guess I should be, too.

But then there's Jon Lester's classy farewell. The Cubs have chosen not to resign our 36-year-old ace. Not a surprise. It's been a good run -- six years and A WORLD SERIES -- but now it's over. Maybe his career is done, maybe he'll sign on for one more season, probably with the Red Sox. But he's thanking Chicago by buying everyone in the city a beer. I'm not kidding.


Three full days of beer at three popular watering holes. Fucking awesome. 

I love my Cubs so much!



3 comments:

  1. There's a lot to love about the Cubbies. I wish my dad lived long enough to see them winning the World Series. He missed it by 2 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The off season is going to be interesting with all of the money lost because of the pandemic. The salary of Goldschmidt and others is causing problems for the St. Louis Cardinals. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a classy farewell!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.