Saturday, December 14, 2019

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1961)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics mention "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Do you often eat chestnuts? I don't recall ever eating a chestnut. Am I missing something wonderful?

2) There's a reference to Jack Frost, too. Does cold weather help you get into the holiday spirit? It helps. I enjoy that we get four distinct seasons here, and snow and cold are part of winter ... and Christmastime.

3) Nat sings that turkey helps to make the season bright. We just had it last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it primarily a holiday dish? I eat turkey all year around. I prefer it to chicken.


4) This song was published as "The Christmas Song," but people often refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or "Merry Christmas to You." When you think of this song, which title comes to mind? "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire."

5) Nat King Cole had a big hit in the 1950s with "Mona Lisa." The ballad compares an enigmatic woman to the da Vinci painting, which hangs in the Louvre. The Mona Lisa has been called the most instantly identifiable painting in the world. Can you think of another famous painting that you recognize on sight? (Extra points if you include a picture!)

American Gothic

6) Best remembered today as a singer, Cole was also an accomplished composer and jazz pianist. Do you like jazz? Not especially.

7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. She never sees Dr. Douglas socially. In fact, she hasn't seen him since her annual check-up last March. Have you received many cards this year? Seven so far. I predict I'll get an even dozen by Christmas.

8) When did/will you start holiday shopping this year: Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Halloween? Earlier than that? I shop all year around. If I see the perfect gift for someone, I snap it up.


9) This time of year is big for charitable fundraising. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you. I'm an enthusiastic supporter of the local food pantry. It's good to help my neighbors and keep my contributions close to home. Here's how to find your local food bank.



7 comments:

  1. It's been interesting to me to see how few cards any of us receive...even the folks who send a bunch out. I don't think it will be long before Christmas cards have gone the way of the dinosaurs. That's kind of sad, but at the same time, I don't miss the stress of getting them all done and sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year I tell myself I'm going to shop all year long instead of waiting until the end of year--it sure would be better on my budget! But somehow, it's one of those things that never happens...maybe a goal for the new year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are chestnuts in every Christmas movie I watch and I have NEVER seen anywhere to buy them in my life. I wondered if it was a big city thing...but if you do not have them in Chicago. I wonder about New York? I do not especially love Jazz either...glad I am not the only one, it seems so many love it. We also support the local food pantry. I cannot even stand to think about people being hungry. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had freshly roasted chestnuts when I was in Dublin, it was magical to buy from the street vendor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Am I missing something wonderful?"
    Nope.
    Most of the chestnuts we get here are from Europe, a chestnut blight wiped them out here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "American Gothic" -- good choice. If you ever get to try chestnuts, let me know if we have been missing anything special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really must eat a chestnut before you die. Of course, these are not American chestnuts, they are from imported trees because the American chestnut died of blight in the 1940s. But they are still good. I haven't had them since I was a child, though.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.