Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saturday 9

It came on Halloween and I still haven't touched it
Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man (1968)

1) This song was originally offered to Aretha Franklin, who turned it down. What's the most recent thing that you said "no" to? Renewing my subscription to People magazine. I just don't keep up with it and have back issues waiting for me on my bed. If there's a story I really want to read, in 2018 I'll pick up the issue at the newsstand.
 
2) Two years later, Aretha recorded "Son of a Preacher Man." What's something you changed your mind about? Salad. I used to hate feeling like a rabbit, nibbling on lettuce. Now I enjoy making salad and like adding stuff to the greens, like slivered almonds, or raisins, or croutons, or cheese ...

3) This song tells the tale of Billy Ray, a young man who could be very persuasive. If we wanted to change your mind about something, would you be more easily swayed by an emotional argument, or with verifiable facts? Emotional
 
4) If you ordered a "Son of a Preacher Man" in a bar, you'd get a cocktail made with
peppermint schnapps, gin and lemonade. When did you last have lemonade? Was it just lemonade, or was it spiked with alcohol? It was last summer. On the way home from church, I happened upon two little girls and their lemonade stand. Obviously it was "just lemonade."

5) Dusty had a thing for maps. She admired them artistically and enjoyed using them to take long car trips. Do you use printed maps? Or do you rely on technology, like GPS or Google Maps? I do not own a printed map.

6) As a girl, she attended convent school. There, one of the nuns discouraged Dusty from performing, telling her that if she would do better to be a mother or a librarian. When you were growing up, did the adults in your world encourage your dreams? My cousin Rose was always very encouraging. Also, she was a powerful role model. When I was growing up she was a junior high school geography teacher so she had summers off and traveled. I lived in a family of women who married young, didn't go to college, and didn't go anywhere farther than Wisconsin. Here was Rose, getting a degree, getting a job, spending her summers going everywhere from Los Angeles to Guatemala.
   
7) That nun inspired Dusty's first major act of rebellion. In an attempt to make herself look less like a future librarian or housewife, she bleached her hair platinum blonde. In school, were you much of a rebel? Or did you conform to the expectations adults had of you? Among my high school classmates, I was considered geeky and aloof. Schizoid, I guess. Within my family, I was considered a non-conformist because I didn't join clubs or go to dances or do any of the things my older sister did, the things that my mother maintained would make me look back at high school as the best years of my life.
 
8) Early in her career, Dusty provided the entertainment at a family summer camp. She appeared on the bill with a clown, a fire-eater and a hypnotist. Have you ever been hypnotized? No.

9) Random question: Have you ever played matchmaker to your friends? If yes, did your efforts lead to romance? No. I'll be interested to read everyone's answers and see if anyone had any luck in this area.



6 comments:

  1. Like you, I had a subscription to People for years and years. I had to give it up for financial reasons but found myself buying it on the newsstand almost weekly anyhow. Now I look at online articles. It was tough to wean myself from them, but now I barely notice the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel old when I glance at the cover of People while waiting in the checkout line. I usually have no idea who the majority of the people are.

    I think I would have loved your cousin Rose. I'm from a family of strong women. I've struggled to understand my husband's sisters (he had 5) who never had dreams beyond getting married and having babies and pushing everyone else to have babies. Now that all the babies are grown they are pushing them to have babies and embracing the grandmother role with wild abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (1) Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a good time. (2) I think you're successful and I read your blog, practically every entry. (3) You are very kind to the homeless folks and their story makes me sad. We are a wealthy nation; we should not have homeless people. (4) I'm really glad you have a cousin Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father kept on trying to get me to play team sports, he said that it builds character. He even bought me a pair of hockey skates when all i really want was a pair of white figure skates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those monthly magazines do tend to pile up. People is an expensive on as well. There has been quite the controversy behind their Blake Shelton choice lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you've grown to love salads. I love them,too. California is famous for it's population of salad eaters. lol
    Rose sounds like a very hip lady, and an excellent role model for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.