Friday, September 01, 2017

Saturday 9

9 to 5 (1980) 

1) This song begins with the clacking of a typewriter. Did you ever learn to touch type -- beginning with your fingers on "the home row" -- or do you hunt and peck? I was a very good touch typist, and it comes in handy now on this MacBook. Part of why I find texting so frustrating is that I can't lay my fingers across "the home row."

2) Much of the video for this song revolves around the office coffee room. Are you enjoying a beverage as you answer these 9 questions? Ice water. I'm trying to drink more water. It's a painless way to live a little healthier.

3) This week's artist, Dolly Parton, loves telling the story of how she once lost a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. What contest or sweepstakes have you entered lately? I won $2 in the Illinois State Lottery this past week!

4) Dolly is one smart blonde. Early in her career she set up a company so she could retain the publishing rights for all her songs. Two alone -- "9 to 5" and "I Will Always Love You" -- made her a multi-millionaire because they have been recorded so many times. Do you have a good head for business? No. And as retirement approaches, I wish I did.

5) Dolly is a crusader for childhood literacy and her organization, Dolly's Imagination Library, has donated more than 10 million books all over the country. What's the last book you read? The last book I finished was Kennedy and Nixon by Chris Matthews. I wasted a ton of time on a mystery I really wasn't into, and I regret it. Both spending the time and abandoning it. For some reason I always feel bad when I give up on a book (unless it sucks, and this one didn't; it just didn't hit the spot for me at this time.)

6) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore? Yes. Loudly, I'm told.

7) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had? Ten (I think).

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue? No. I'm cocooning, and thoroughly looking forward to it.

9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you're a parent with school-age kids, are they ready? I remember that late-summer shopping trip. There were two independently-owned department stores where my mom loved buying our clothes. She enjoyed those excursions more than I did. She was always very particular about our hair cuts and our clothes.

7 comments:

  1. Yes! No home row!!! I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every now and then I will throw a lottery ticket into paychecks. When someone wins $2 it is even better than getting a raise for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5= I am so disappointed in myself when I abandon books. Like I'm a failure or something. I read a lot, so when I hit a clunker I feel like it's me, not the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated hair cuts, it wasn't until the hippie generation that I could grow my hair long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate texting! I don't know how the kids can type so fast using only their thumbs. When it comes to texting, I am hunt and peck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a rule about books: if I'm struggling or just not into it by page 20 or so, I'm done. It helps that almost everything I read is a library book, so I'm not out any money when I give up.

    I loved the pre-school shopping flurry...probably the last time I enjoyed the actual shopping part of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For people hitting clunkers, our time is precious and even best selling authors can't be allowed to infringe on it! Freeeeedommmm!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.