Sunday, July 16, 2017

From one part of town to the other

Last night I took John out to dinner for his birthday. It was a pleasant, low-key evening at Harry Caray's 7th Inning Stretch. We had artichoke/spinach dip and caught up, then we had our entrees and watched the game.

John was a little out of it, which I admit here I resented. He partied way, way too much Friday night and was still experiencing the after effects at 5:00 Saturday. This shows a lack of respect for our time together, and for his health. He is, after all, 62 years old and he can't party like he did when he was 25. But since we were celebrating his birthday, I kept my frustration to myself. I didn't want to spoil our evening and besides, he refrained from drinking during our meal. That shows he understands, on some level, that he has to learn when to say when.

After dinner, I had about an hour until my train home. I didn't want to spend the money for a Lyft or Uber home, so I trekked it. From Water Tower Place to Ogilvy Transportation Center is about a mile and a half. It was a pretty, warm night, and I enjoyed the city scenes. Near Water Tower you find lots of tourists, and it was neat to hear all those different languages being spoken. Then I got to the River Walk. Oh, but it's gorgeous! And busy! People at the riverfront cafes, sipping wine. People kayaking, with those little lights on the back to make them visible on the night water.

As I walked, this recording -- a favorite of Sir Paul's -- kept me company.





Got in my front door at 11:00 PM, ready for bed. I didn't take any photos yesterday, didn't "check in" anywhere on Facebook. I don't know why, really. I just wanted to enjoy the moment, rather than immortalize it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.