Sunday, August 21, 2016

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 20

Look at my happy kitty
Saturday's happiness: Catsup on pizza. My nephew, now a junior in high school, still likes to dip his thin crust pizza in catsup. It made me smile to see that remnant of his little boyhood.

We had lunch together on Saturday and as always, he wanted to talk politics. He had been a passionate Sanders supporter, and he can explain his point of view with great clarity (though perhaps too much emotion). But now he's "with her." 

He supports Hillary now with more enthusiasm than he thought he would, and a lot of it has to do with the horrible rumors about Parkinson's that are given oxygen by the even more horrible Martin Shkreli

This is particularly odious to me because my favorite uncle bravely battled Parkinson's and died of it in 2010. I wasn't sure how well my nephew recalls his great uncle. He does. And with compassion. 

As an enthusiastic Bernie Bro, he can list all Clinton's shortcomings. But he is disgusted with her opposition for these rumors. As appalled as he is, that's how proud I am. His heart and his integrity are impressive for one so young. (Or,  as you consider the conspiracy mongers, perhaps his integrity and heart are impressive at any age.)

We also talked about school. He still hates it, but "at least this year is easy." We talked about The Beatles, of course. He is a massive Beatle fan and was interested in my tales of The Fest. We talked about The Cubs -- because he knows that I always want to talk to about the Cubs. 

Despite his height and his ugly neckbeard, he's still the sweet little boy he's always been. And he still likes to dip his pizza in catsup.

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

If you want to play along, just come back here (meaning to this blog, not this individual post) each day in August, looking for the happy cat. Every day I will try to have a post with the headline: August Happiness Challenge: Day [X]. Leave a comment and then post your own daily happiness, with August Happiness Challenge in the title to make it easy to find. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.