Friday, November 13, 2015

Shocked and sad


I'm watching the hostage situation at Paris' Bataclan Theater unfold in real time. It's overwhelming.

Bataclan, in happier times
I have no desire to travel overseas, never really have. There's so much of the United
States I haven't seen, or wish to see again, and that's my priority.

But I did go to Paris, back when I was 19, and it was exactly as I wanted it to be. I saw the Mona Lisa, the Champs-Élysée, the Arc de Triomphe. I loved almost* every moment.

That makes me feel a greater kinship to the tourists and citizens of Paris. My sadness, anger and horror is greater than my capacity to express it.


*OK, I also remember severe stomach upset after dining on a beer and sausage fondue. Just typing those words made me cramp up.

1 comment:

  1. It's tragic and heartbreaking. Bear lost a friend/long-term pen pel at the restaurant and she's devastated.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.