Thursday, June 25, 2015

"Yes, Boss?"

The client was in town this week. It was an all-day meeting, during which we recapped our work for the first six months of 2015.

My boss presented a board depicting our work to date on my Big Project. After giving an overview, he tossed it to me. I blabbed and answered questions without notes. One of our clients said, "I always get a kick out of your enthusiasm."

I realized as the day wore on that I was doing a lot of the talking. I wasn't on the agenda, I had no predetermined part of the agenda. It's just that I know my shit.

So much so that, this morning, when I went to my boss' office to discuss next steps, he looked up and said, "Yes, Boss?"

I was flattered, of course, but also cognizant of the role Long Tall Sally (aka The New Girl) has played in my career renaissance. Yes, her personality is too big. Yes, there's too much drama and volatility in her wake.

But when her predecessor, The Chocolate Covered Spider, chaired December's similar client meeting, I wasn't even invited. Spidey didn't share the spotlight. Spidey didn't want others to shine.

So I'm enjoying this new chapter in my work life.



Image courtesy of iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. It's great that things are improving, and you're getting a chance to show your shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--it's fantastic that you were allowed to shine.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.