Monday, July 28, 2014

Today she would be 85




Equestrian and dog lover, photographer, editor, wife, mother and grandmother. Oh yeah, and First Lady.

What son John said when he announced her passing to the press could apply not only to her death but to her entire extraordinary life: "She did it in her own way and on her own terms and we all feel lucky for that."

I don't remember discovering her. She was just always a presence. Never complaining and certainly never, ever explaining. Facing both success and sorrow with the same outward equanimity.

People admire her for her clothes sense, and certainly her look has proven timeless. But I revere her for making guts a feminine trait.

So happy birthday to my all-time idol, Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy Onassis.
One of her last public appearances





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:53 PM

    Thank you for this. Jackie was a hero of mine too. I let her birthdate pass unnoticed yesterday, but I'll think about her today.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.