Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Her cheeks are always ruddy

I'm thinking about the woman who is always on the corner of Michigan and Randolph for the evening rush hour. She's solemn, pink-cheeked, and holds a sign that says, "I'm not a bad girl. I made bad choices."

Since I changed health clubs, I know longer see "my" McDonald's Man, the homeless gentleman with terrible eyesight I always passed en route. He always said, "Thank you for your blessings" whenever I dropped coins in his cup.

So instead I give my few cents a day to her. Whereas his graciousness always touched my heart, so does her terrible dignity. This has been a hot, uncomfortable summer and she's been there every day, holding that sign in which she owns up to her shortcomings. I wonder what her life is like, and how she got here.




2 comments:

  1. i have made bad choices...thankfully thru the grace of God He took care of me. thank you for reminding me how blessed I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a powerful sign. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.