Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thursday Thirteen #134


THIRTEEN COMMON MEDICAL PROCEDURES

I have spent a lot of time in doctors' offices lately, being picked and poked and prodded. It got me to thinking ... Does this happen often? What kind of tests get run frequently?

Well, here they are: 13 frequently run tests. Shown here in alphabetical order, not in order of popularity. I mean, popularity with doctors and insurance company. I doubt that any are popular with patients!

1) Blood pressure -- for hypertension
2) Bone mineral density test -- for osteoporosis
3) Clinical breast exam -- to screen for breast cancer
4) Cholesterol -- to test for hypercholesterolemia, for high cholesterol
5) Digital rectal exam -- colorectal cancer screening
6) Eye exam -- for glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts and diabetic retinopathy
7) Fasting plasma glucose -- for diabetes
8) Fecal occult blood -- colorectal cancer screening
9) FSH -- screens for ovarian failure, which leads to menopause
10) HIV -- for HIV/AIDS
11) Mammogram -- for breast cancer
12) Pap Test -- for cervical cancer
13) Sigmoidoscophy -- colorectal cancer screening

To learn more about the Thursday Thirteen,
or to play along yourself, click here.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:00 AM

    Now that I see I've only had about half of these done, I'm feeling a bit better about my health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informational! I've had a few of those done too!

    Stop by and say hello...

    Cindy @Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate mammogram.. it hurts sooo much!!!!


    Mine's up! Happy T13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get some of these done again soon. It's been well too long since I've been to the doctor.

    I hope you feel better and can see your doctors a great deal less in the future!

    Happy T13!

    ~Xakara
    13 Soundtracks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder(s) :)

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/07/anniversary-of-americans-with-disabilities-act/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My doctor wants me to get the bone density test but since I know I won't take the drugs I don't really see the point in knowing. So I don't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to share a link that works. :)

    Happy T13,

    ~Xakara
    13 Soundtracks

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.