Saturday, July 31, 2010

What was it I just saw?


I loved Inception. I don't like sci-fi/fantasies. I was bored by Star Wars and ignored Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and have never cared one way or the other about Star Trek. And yet I loved Inception.

It's about dreams and memories and mazes and gravity and obsessions and secrets. And it's all held together by Leonardo di Caprio.

Leo and I have spent a great deal of time together, ever since I first noticed him as the emotionally damaged teen in Marvin's Room. I don't think I've seen him give a bad performance, and this one is particularly tricky. In a goofy way he reminds me of -- this will sound crazy, but hear me out -- Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.

We went along with Dorothy on a fantastic odyssey through a world we'd never imagined before. This world may or may not be real, and much of what we encounter is unbelievable, but because of her unflagging sincerity, because she believes it, we believe it.

Leo's Cobb is the same way. This is all very real, and desperately important, to him. And so it becomes real and important to us.

Even if I can't tell you what it is exactly I saw.

3 comments:

  1. We brought my 82 y/o aunt to Inception, and she was totally confused. I thought it was great, better than the Matrix for me. So was it all a dream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused! It was crazy (but in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00 AM

    I loved this one too!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.