Sunday, March 07, 2010

God bless them, every one


I just watched The Hurt Locker on On Demand and am sorry ...

• Sorry I watched it, because it is numbingly tense and violent. As it should be. Because it is about a real war, going on in a real place, where soldiers and civilians are really dying.

• Sorry I missed it at the theaters. Because if the tension and violence had this impact on me in my living room, I can only imagine what they would have been like in a darkened theater. While it's an intense, ugly and horrible subject, I need to confront it and think about it more because I am ...

• Sorry I don't often remind myself that there are troops facing this right now, and in my name, and I should.

In that way, this movie is like Precious, another Oscar-nominated film. There I lives I don't think of often enough, but I should. While I didn't enjoy The Hurt Locker, I appreciate it and am grateful for it. Because it reminds me of all those other souls I should be more grateful for.

5 comments:

  1. I'm such a sensitive soul (ha! but it's true) that I cannot even watch anything like this. It seeps into my being and I just carry it around. I know the stories need to be told and I honor that. I just can't take it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd be able to watch a movie like that. Shame, because its a movie I should watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with SilverNeurotic--a film I should see but one I probably won't see. I do hope it wins in the Awards tonight, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am careful about avoiding films that are uncomfortable for me, with violence and sometimes tough subjects(couldn't watch "The Road" or "Schindler's List", for example)even though they are great films, which is why I am a wimp and haven't yet seen "The Hurt Locker" or "Precious". Maybe I will. I can understand how this film "reminded" you that yes, war IS hell and there are a lot of people out there(in armed forces, and some not) who are going through a terrible time, while we sit back and stay safely at home, watching the Olympics and Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:43 PM

    This is ont my netflix list. Loved your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.