Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Those Whom God Hath Joined Together, Let No Man Put Asunder."

My question is, how do you know WHO God hath joined together?

I spent all morning sitting on a bench outside a county courtroom with my oldest friend. We were there because her weird-ass ex was trying to weasel out of child support. My role today was to lend moral support, and I didn't mind at all. First of all, my friend is dependably there for me. Secondly, it was great theater. Everyone who walked by was involved in a case, there were laughter and tears, and quite the cross section of humanity.

It was in this context that I saw my friend's ex-husband for the first time in years. I was surprised by how sad, old and goofy he looked. Both his hair and his lips were thinner than I remembered. He was trying to look officious and prepared, standing there in his pressed white shirt, accordion folder in hand and calculator at the ready. I have no idea why he needed such a big folder for one little dispute and he looked so silly with his short yellow tie barely reaching mid-belly. As it became more obvious that he wasn't going to get what he wanted, the angrier and more stubborn he became.

My friend has always been a friendly, sweet-natured woman who aims to please, to avoid conflict. I can't imagine what she saw in this putz in the first place, and seeing them together now I can barely believe they were married at all.

Being around his toxic energy for hours, I conclude that God couldn't possibly have ever joined these two together, and therefore I'm glad they divorced.

4 comments:

  1. I rushed over here to see if you got married.

    Wouldn't the better question be, "Those Whom God Hath Divided, Let No Man Put Back Together"....?or something like that.
    Just a thought.

    Best to your friend. Vision is always crystal clear after a divorce. It's quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing bibical in those words...those are just "mans" words...that is why for many marriage does not work.
    been there...I know...sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post..you are a good friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect observation.

    As I read, I thought of several marriages which touch my life that were not God's idea at all. My parents, for one.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.