Sunday, August 02, 2009

09 August Happiness Challenge -- Day 2

Sunday -- My nephew is a great kid.

He's spending today with my mother and I had promised him I would swing by. He wanted us to play Beatles Monopoly together, and he wanted me to see his new glasses, which he says look (Harry) "Potterish." He, me and Grandma were going to have a fine afternoon.

But my stomach has been giving me trouble for about 3 hours now. I don't think I should travel far from home and besides, this may be a contagious bug. It would be rather selfish under the circumstances to hang around with a 70-something woman and a 9-year-old boy.

So I called him to explain. He was very sweet. "Of course you can't help it!" he said in his most reassuring voice. Though he was looking forward to playing Beatles Monopoly because he has become "the master," having beaten his mommy in "less than 38 minutes!"

He's a very entertaining phone conversationalist, telling me about a sleepover on Friday night and how soon his new class assignment will be posted on "the 4th grade door" at school and how he hopes next year he'll still be with Jimmy and Leland and Tanner. But not Seth. (He's been with Seth since Kindergarten, when Seth once stepped on his head during naptime. My nephew doesn't see how Seth, or anyone, can "accidentally" step on another person's head!)

So while I will miss playing The Monopoly Master with the Potterish Glasses today, I very much enjoyed our lively time together on the phone.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better, Miss. Good call on not traveling when feeling craptastic. Nine is such a good age, isn't it?? They are like little people and still say the funniest things and are so genuine.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great kid! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sense a re-match with the Monopoly Master. Nieces and nephews are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to say that I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.