Wednesday, July 08, 2009

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #115 -- Why Believe in Yesterday?

THIRTEEN SINGERS WHO COVERED
THE
MOST RECORDED SONG OF ALL TIME

Almost every time you hear about Michael Jackson's estate, someone mentions that he owned The Beatles Catalog, and that it's worth mucho dinero. That the rites to the Lads' music are highly profitable isn't surprising. After all, Beatles albums have been selling consistently for 45 years now. Cirque du Soleil's LOVE and recent the Across the Universe film generated new interest in the Beatles … and new income, as well. Every time you're on hold and you hear "Michelle," whenever a high school band plays "With a Little Help from my Friends," somewhere a cash register rings.

And most of all, there's "Yesterday." According to The Guiness Book of World Records, this Paul McCartney composition has been recorded and re-recorded more times and by more artists than any other pop song in modern history. The most up to date tally I could find is 1,600.

To give you an idea of the song's popularity across every demographic, here are 13 of the artists who have recorded "Yesterday."

Chet Atkins
Boyz II Men
James Brown
Ray Charles
Perry Como
Placido Domingo
Marvin Gaye
Tom Jones
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Elvis Presley
Smokey Robinson
Diana Ross & the Supremes
Frank Sinatra

To participate yourself, or to look up more TT participants,
visit the new hub (thursday-13.com).

15 comments:

  1. Perry Como? I had no idea. I would love his smooth voice with this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that song had been recorded by that many people. I don't think I've ever heard any of the cover versions, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...all my troubles seemed so far away,.....now I long for yesterday-ay-ay. [There is also a song recorded by Roy Clark, Yesterday...when I was young the taste of life was sweet, as rain upon my tongue.]

    I'm going to be humming this song all day now. And I love it.

    My 13 is posted now, I hope you can find time to stop by for a visit. Happy Thursday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Who knew?
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!
    Happy Thursday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/07/whoopie-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole song catalog thing is intriguing. I had no idea "Yesterday" has been recorded that much. What an interesting post and concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's a lot of recordings of one song--and that is just the ones that recorded--not sang it Karaoke or in the shower! :)

    Happy TT!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did MJ own Yesterday? I hope Paul McCartney can get his songs back.

    Cool list. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh. That is a lot of recording of a single song. But like DSB, I don't think I've heard any version but the Beatle's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's interesting. Quite a mix of artist's there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I knew that the song had had more go-rounds than the average tune, but I had no clue so many people had recorded it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! I love me some Tom Jones. lol - I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything Tom Jones sings makes me cringe. Queen needs to go lie down.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.