Sunday, July 12, 2009

Looooooooou! Looooooooou!

I love Lou Piniella. Not since Leo Durocher managed the Cubs when I was a kid has a manager so captivated me. (Though Leo scared me, and I think "Sweet Lou" is completely adorable.)

The Cubs are down by two runs in the 9th, the bases are loaded and there are no outs ... and yet Lou hasn't given up and won't give in. He pulled the damnedest move tonight -- bringing Sean Marshall (a left-handed relief pitcher) in to pitch to one Cardinal, then using Marshall to replace Soriano in the outfield so he can bring in another reliever but still put Marshall back on the mound as need be. Never seen anything like it.

But then, that's Lou.

His wacky maneuver got the Cubs out of the top of 9th inning without giving up any more runs. He's also re-energized the Wrigley Field faithful and screwed with the Cardinals' heads. He's spent his life in the MLB, and it shows.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I saw that last night. It was so funny listening to Joe talk about how he was manipulating the rules - well...DUH! Too bad you used an image of him as a Yankee player instead of now as Manager with the Cubbies.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.