Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Going it alone

I just found out this afternoon that my theater buddy can't make it tomorrow. She has a sudden, crunch project and predicts she will have to work until long after the curtain goes up at 7:30. So I'm going alone.

It's Mary Poppins, for pity's sake! I love Mary Poppins. She looms large in my legend. I can't miss the opportunity to see her live.

This is awfully last minute for me to find a seatmate, and I don't feel like it. I wanted to see it with my theater buddy because she completely loves musicals, and I'd rather see it alone than with someone who won't totally appreciate it like she and I would. So I'm honoring our dinner reservation but I'm bringing a book instead of my theater buddy, and then I'm going to the theater. Alone. And I'm looking forward to it.

What I am not looking forward to is tomorrow at the office, when coworkers see me dressed for theater and ask, "So who are you going with?" If I tell them I'm going alone, they will look at me with horrible pity, like I'm friendless. I don't like to lie, but that's what I'm going to do.

Why do people always assume that if you're alone, you're lonely? Why do others force me into a defensive position, just because I like my own company? Sometimes I wish well-meaning people would just leave me ... well ... alone.

2 comments:

  1. I sure hope you enjoy the show (and your dinner!) - and I couldn't agree more with your "strategery" (said in my best GW voice)...better to enjoy it alone, than have it ruined by an unappreciative seat-filler. (Tell 'em you're going with someone whose company you adore, who's intelligent, funny, and a HUGE fan of the show...and when they press for a name, smile slyly. No lies needed - just none of their business!!)

    Have great fun and enjoy every minute of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:49 AM

    I love Mary Poppins-but I don't think I could make it to Chicago in time. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.