Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #94 -- Good bad TV


THIRTEEN THINGS
ABOUT
THE PEOPLE'S COURT


The worse the news gets, the more thankful I am for escapism. That's why I’m a connoisseur of crap TV – programs that are the intellectual equivalent of empty calories. Nowhere can you find more inconsequential programming than during the day, and currently my favorite daytime TV show is The People’s Court. When I’m sick in bed, it gives me something to look forward to. When I’ve got a day off from work, I always try to catch it. To borrow from Tom Cruise in Rain Man: Defendants! Plaintiffs! The People’s Court has it all! They make legal history every day, and I highly recommend it.

1) It is currently the most popular courtroom program with female viewers. (And that includes Judge Judy!)

2) The civil cases shown are resolved legally on the show. The judge’s ruling is binding.

3) The show’s researchers canvass courts to find interesting civil suits that have already been filed. They ask the litigants if they would allow their cases to be decided on TV.

4) The current judge, Marilyn Milian, has been on the TV bench since 2001. She is both the first woman and the first Hispanic to preside over this show.

5) She became a real-live judge in 1999, when she was appointed to the Miami Circuit Court by then Governor Jeb Bush.

6) I love the stuff she says when she’s angry. “I wouldn’t believe you if your tongue came notarized.” “Stick a fork in me, I’m done!”

7) She played herself on As the World Turns and The George Lopez Show.

8) Her baliff is Douglas McIntosh. He has been on the show as long as she has.

9) Curt Chaplin interviews the litigants as they leave the courtroom. In addition to the People’s Court, he also works as voice-over talent.

10) Harvey Levin is the guy who interviews the fans in Times Square and gets their opinions on the courtroom goings on. He’s a lawyer himself and now also hosts TMZ.

11) My unofficial observation is that most of the cases involve Good Samaritans who let friends and neighbors use their credit to get cell phones and then renege when the bills come in. So don’t ever do that.

12) Judge Joseph Wapner starred on the bench for 12 seasons and almost 2,500 episodes.

13) He was immortalized in the 1988 movie, Rain Man. The character of Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) was a big People’s Court fan and said, “10 minutes to Wapner.”

Happy Thanksgiving, TT'ers!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



19 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:26 PM

    I haven't seen this show in ages ...but I remember it was a good little time waster :) Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, coming from the UK, I've never seen it, but we used to have 'Crown Court', which sounds similar - and equally rubbish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:36 PM

    I do watch Marilyn quite a lot. She really does fancy herself doesn't she! It's very interesting to see which cases she has made her mind up about before hearing the evidence, and which one she is open about. I always enjoy the ones where there is a twist of some kind and the plaintiff ends up paying! My heart sinks when it is just about suing over lost dry cleaning or something. Yawn! By the way, do you understand that bit in the end credits, about both parties being paid out of a special fund? Does anyone actually get paid damages for anything or is it all playacting?

    I have to say, I do prefer Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sene that show quite a few times too.
    Thursday13#10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol..I don't watch that one, as its not on when I'm home. But I do admit I do love Judge Joe Brown, and Judge Judy. Why anyone would want to air their dirty laundry on tv I'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny! Me - I hit the science junk channels. The worst thing is all the good shows are on Wednesday night!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother loved these shows and my mother now watches them. I must admit, there is something compelling about watching other peoples' wreckage in their lives to realize that mine is okay.

    Did you ever see the one about the party planner???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shows like that make me feel somewhat sane lol Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I haven't watched this show in years. I do remember it being something to watch during the day. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Wow. I haven't watched The People's Court in AGES.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watch crap tv sometimes, too. People's court was the first of its kind, though, and I prefer it to stupid shows like Maury Povich or Montell. Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll admit it - I am a big fan of Marilyn Milian...especially her spanish "lessons".

    (Happy Thanksgiving, Lady!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:28 AM

    LOL! I haven't watched that show since Judge Wapner was on the bench....I do love some TV court room drama though!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learn a lot from this show though I have a hard time with the scolding tone. It is always strangely funny how dumb people can be, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I'm a big People's Court fan too! My TT today involved a drive through some Colonial areas. www.pbdiva.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember the Show never used to watch it,I always thought it was staged. Thank you for changing my view.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Sounds like a very interesting show to watch! I think I've heard about it before, but they don't show it here and we have none like it.

    A late happy TT,and Happy Thanksgiving weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:29 PM

    I have looked all over the Net to answer these "People's Court" Questions-

    1. How much does Judge Millian make a yr? I read that Judge Judy has a 5 yr...120 million dollar deal!!

    2. Bailiff Doug McIntosh- what is his background? Was he a cop? In the military? His bio gives little info...and what is he bringing down? 100k?

    Would love to know.

    Kjevans1998@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.