Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #15 -- Little things that mean a lot


Thirteen Things that delight
THE GAL HERSELF


Norman Maine referred to “little jabs of pleasure, like when a swordfish takes the hook.” I believe our lives are filled with those little jabs of pleasure … moments of joy that touch your heart a bit on even the saddest days. Here are 14 of mine (I included an honorable mention), listed in the order they occurred to me.


1. Chicago’s lakefront. The vastness of our great Great Lake never fails to take my breath away.

2. Oldies. Singing tunelessly along when a truly cheesy 70s always gives me the giggles. I may not be able to remember where I left my checkbook, but I do know all the lyrics to “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia.”

3. Talking to my mom. We blab on the phone for about an hour every weekend. Every now and again it washes over me that we aren’t exclusively mother and daughter anymore; we’re also two women who like one another. I think that’s quite cool

4. My best friend’s name and number. I love coming around my desk to see the message light on alongside his number. Or opening my email to see his name there. Doesn’t matter what he has to say. I’m just glad he’s out there somewhere.

5. Pat and Ron. How to describe the Cubs radio team? As utterly charming, that’s how. I’d always rather listen to a game than watch because of them. Ron is Ron Santo, Cubs All-Star third baseman and one of the most idiosyncratic, and least objective, baseball broadcasters you’ll ever hear. More than once I’ve known a call hasn’t gone our way because I’ve heard Ronnie literally groan in my ear. He’s also one of the bravest, most positive characters around. He’s had so many health problems, and yet he always manages to sound upbeat (unless an outfielder loses one in the vines). Pat is Pat Hughes, the play-by-play man and the professional broadcaster in the booth. His pipes are spell binding and his wry sense of humor helps even the most broken-hearted Cub fan find something positive about any given game.

6. Paul McCartney. And I love him. Have since I was 6 years old. He’s provided the soundtrack of my life. From “All My Loving” to “Fine Line,” his familiar voice can always make me smile.

7. The sky. I love just looking out at the sky. From a cloudless light blue to a stormy gray to a starry black night. There’s a beauty and personality to its every form.

8. Chocolate. Dark chocolate. Hot chocolate. Hershey’s chocolate. Ghirardelli’s chocolate. Hostess cupcakes chocolate. It’s all good.

9. Going through my mail. There is always the possibility that I’ll find something exciting in there. Found money … a letter from my cousin … a magazine with McDreamy on the cover …

10. Really bad movies. Glen or Glenda. Valley of the Dolls. Change of Habit. Give me an unspeakably bad movie, a big glass of milk and a box of Nilla Vanilla Wafers and just watch my mood improve.

11. Really good movies. Casablanca. Citizen Kane. Gone with the Wind. It’s a cliché, but the classics really don’t ever go out of style, or even appear dated.

12. Going to the movies. I’m not talking about what I’m watching; I’m referring to the actual act of going to the show. You know, grabbing your popcorn or your Sno Caps and settling into your seat in a darkened theater. Beginning with the coming attractions, there’s a romance to it that I love.

13. Saving money. Rebate checks, coupons, airline miles, interest paid … The amount doesn’t matter. It’s the adventure of saving the money. It always leaves me feeling I’ve accomplished something.

Am I allowed an honorable mention? That would go to watching my cat Joey sleep. Not only does he look like he’s smiling, he moves a lot when in the throes of serious napping. My favorite nap position is kinda-sorta on his back, with his right rear leg sticking up. He manages to look positively ridiculous and completely adorable at the same time.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Thanks to everyone for your positive comments. Each one was an additional "jab of pleasure," too!


1. Check out Sue's very first TT at doubledeckerbuses.org/urbanzoo

2 Courtney has a baker's dozen of dumb celebrity quotes at fifer-traeger.blogspot.com

3. See if the 13 things on your desk are the same as Carol's at themediansib.com

4. There's a visual intriguing TT is at impworks.blogspot.com

5. Tinkerbell's TT will make you wish you were more witchy: tinkerbell-nl.blogspot.com

6. Dew's literary TT is at deweymonster.com

7. For a unique and entertaining TT approach to dieting, go to thiseclecticlife.com

8. Do you wonder what 13 things Mitchell and Keri keep in the frig? Find out at westofmars.blogspot.com

9. Wylie's colorful TT is at wyliekinson.blogspot.com

10. Janet's TT is filled with things she loves that begin with the letter L: www.fondofsnape.com

11. Go to thommalyn.blogspot.com and find yourself drawn in by a TT of intriguing first line of novels.

12. For the "stuff" of she's life, check out her TT at daemon-ink.net/blog

13. Journeywoman gives well deserved props to her thirteen favorite teachers at journeywoman.typepad.com

14. For a cute, cute, cute visual TT, go to theflatlandalmanack.typepad.com/the_flatland_chronicles

15. Rose's grown-up and funny TT is at rosedesrochers.todays-woman.net

16. Healthy Nadine's first TT is tips for a good night's sleep: healthifica.com

17. Samantha's TT is funny, romantic and hopeful, and you can read it for yourself at samsquietspot.blogspot.com



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



20 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Those little things are really what add up to a well lived life aren't they .. :) You know I too have a soundtrack for my life, and I get bad commercial jingles, and old sitcom themes stuck in my head. LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmigosh, I'm so with you on bad movies. The two worst films ever are two of my favourites -- Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare and Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:26 PM

    Small things are usually the things that make us the happiest. They're the things that many take for granted. Great T13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to agree with you on good and bad films. When I'm fed up a really bad action film can be just what it takes to improve my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my TT I say: in the pursuit of happiness every detail can be important. So true! I agree with you on a lot of your list, especially chocolate! ;-)

    My TT lists the 13 goals of a witch, with my thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:04 PM

    I love Lake Michigan, too! One of my favorite places is a beach in Evanston, where you can look at the city in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:11 PM

    That's a wonderful list! That and your post about Elizabeth Taylor make me want to explore your blog more! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I want to go to the movies with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy TT! I love these lists that are full of happy thoughts; they make me happy (go figure).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list -- My personal faves -- the one about your mom (my mom's is my friend too) and going to the movies. I still get all excited in the pit of my tummy when the lights go down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, good, I'm not the only one who likes the coming attractions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:25 PM

    What a great list. I, too, love watching my kitties sleep. I love cuddling with them, watching them walk around, take baths, wrestle with each other... I'm just crazy about my sweet kitties. :)

    I love classic films and singing along with oldies, too.

    And OMG, Glen or Glenda! I adore Ed Wood's stuff. Who woulda thunk it, I've run into another Ed Wood fan on the Blogosphere! Love his "hilariously campy and really bad in a fun way" movies. Hubby and I have Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space (oh, the dialogue: "Future events will affect you... in the future!" LOL!) And I love the movie that was made about Ed Wood (starring Johnny Depp).

    Great big happy TT to you! :) Pull the String! Pull the String! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:01 PM

    I love getting letters or phone calls from my best friend too (#4). Always puts a smile on my face and lights up the entire day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:46 PM

    I am with you on Paul McCartney.

    Funny you should mention Casablanca...a movie theater nearby is showing old movies so tomorrow we're going to see Casablanca on a big screen!

    Mine's up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:50 PM

    An excellent list. The only one that gives me a pang rather than pleasure is going through my mail---since there's no chance at all it will contain a thing but bills and catalogues....

    Watching a cat sleep is definitely a serious pleasure and I love to sing along with seventies tunes myself.

    My 13 is my favorite 13 pages from Cute Overload, which I guarantee will deliver 13 separate jabs of pleasure to any animal lover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:12 AM

    Great list! It is the little things in life that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:00 AM

    Oh I miss my Mom...

    :-)

    great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved A Change of Habit...Elvis and Mary Tyler Moore...who would have dreamt up that combo? I saw it at the Uptown theater in Utica, NY. It came out in 1969, so I was 7!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this was my favorite list today. I completely agree with you about those little moments of perfection. In fact I used that in one of my books once.

    Beautiful list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Little things mean a lot to me too.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading your list mad me feel good. My favorite would be chocolate of course. Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.