Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Well, this was humbling

I went to the doctor today (thanks for asking, Ms. Hickory). It was my bi-annual blood test to make sure that my cholesterol meds are still effective and haven't damaged my liver (or is it my kidney?). Yes, that makes me feel sexy.

My doctor, a genuinely nice women and one of the few doctors I have who seems to remember me from visit to visit, complimented me on my weight loss and my skin and how generally healthy I look. She's confident that we will all be pleased with the results of my blood work. Yea! I still get delighted when a voice of authority tells me I have been a good girl.

Then we started talking about my headaches. Oh, those headaches. Debilitating and terrifying, once one hits I literally cannot function for 4 to 6 hours. I initially thought they were alcohol-related because each hit right after I had a drink. But, as my best friend pointed out, beer doesn't trigger these terrible headaches, neither do most vodka drinks. So we developed a little liquor diary and discovered that the two drinks that set the raging headaches off both contained lemonade. I shared this with my doctor and she agrees with him -- it's something in the lemony mixer that triggers migraines. She cut me a script for special migraine medication and, when I wondered why lemon drinks would bother me now, after years of drinking them. Hormones, she said.

Perimenopause. Oh, good. I'm a perimenopausal woman with migraines and high cholesterol. Yes, I feel sexy tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on being a good girl :-) Oh yeah. Perimenopaws. Tres sexy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.