Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sincere tribute or nasty slap? You decide.


Sir Paul has dedicated his new album to his first wife Linda. This latest musical creation is an orchestral work in four movements called "Ecce Cor Meum" (Behold My Heart). He explains that this was what he was working on, with Linda's help, at the time of her death. Finishing this "emotional" work helped him work through his grief at losing her.

Now all of that is probably true. The world was moved by the longevity of Paul and Linda's marriage, as well as how deep his agony was when she died.

But I also think that releasing this piece now (I believe I read that the first public performance was to honor Linda's birthday) was done to minimize Heather Mills and the role she has played in Sir Paul's life.

I was happy when Paul married Heather Mills, though her young age disturbed me.* I was thrilled when Baby Bea was born. I was so glad that he was among us again, working on music, performing … and no longer looking like an open wound.

That's why the ugliness of this divorce bothers me. Whatever may have happened between them, Heather did help him turn his life around and give him a baby. I wish that when a relationship ends, the couple could honor what they each brought to it and just move on. No recrimination, no blame, no ugliness. I guess that's unrealistic, though. As someone once said, "If relationships didn't end badly, they wouldn't end at all."

I realize Sir Paul is a billionaire, but I don't believe that money is the root of all this nastiness. I think it's just the nature of the what happens when love ends. I have a friend who has been divorced for four years, with a new man for almost three, and yet she and her ex can't stop picking and slicing away at each other. And trust me, these two are not rich.

I've never been married but I've suffered through the end of three serious relationships. I can honestly say that two of the men were lovely people, good and decent, and that quite a bit of the blame for those break ups was mine. I'm glad I don't hate them, glad I never did, and I'm grateful I can easily recall happy moments with each of them. I hope that when they think of me, if they think of me, they can do the same.

*My issue with her age wasn't in relation to his age, it was in relation to my own. I was too young for Paul the first time he married, and apparently too old for Paul the second time he married. How did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.