Saturday, September 30, 2006

Come on, Professor …


"Greg Maddux, who's pitched in 11 postseasons, can seal a spot for LA." So reads the headline on MLB.com.

It's cloudy and 62º at AT&T Park in San Fran. And the tenth winningest pitcher in baseball history is trying to turn the heat up on the home team. If he can make fast work of the Giants today, the Dodgers will clinch a spot in the playoffs.

The game's not televised nationally, so I cannot watch him pitch in real-time. Instead I'm trying to follow it on Gameday. Which is OK, but I can't see his face. For me, that's the best part of watching the Professor perform. The completely expressionless baby face, with the gears grinding inexorably and inscrutably behind his eyes. Watching him pace away from the mound a moment, lick his fingers, and return, ready to "paint the corners" again. Always the same, whether is 1-1 (as it is now) or 6-1 (makes no difference in his demeanor whether he's on the winning or losing end).

I know he's pitching on only four days' rest. I know he can't do it alone, that he needs all the Dodger offense behind him. I know the SF/Dodger rivalry is almost as virulent as the Cub/Cards rivalry, and the Giants and their fans would undoubtedly love to sock it to the Dodgers. I know this game isn't a sure thing (I haven't forgotten that I thought 9/20 against the Pirates -- when I was in the stands -- was gonna be a cakewalk for him).

But I want this so. For him. This last time around with the Cubs didn't go as well as he (or we) had hoped. I want him to go out a winner. I want it to be clear to anyone and everyone that Greg Maddux is the real deal, and that silly Roger Clemens has no reason to come back in 2007. In 20 years, when kids not even born yet visit Cooperstown, I want them to read a plaque that Greg Maddux pitched in the post-season 12 times. He deserves it so.

Please let him be a hero once again today. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.