Saturday, June 10, 2006

Discovering the balance in Homeowner's Karma

My new refrigerator arrived this morning! It is adorable, with recessed Euro handles. When I bought it originally, I wasn't this enthusiastic. But now that it's here, I love it. And besides, living out of a styrofoam cooler was a drag. The delivery men were on time and pleasant. So being a homeowner should be good again, huh?

Well, no. I guess it's Homeowner's Karma that for everything that goes well, something has to go bad.

It rained pretty hard last night, and there was a corresponding wide stain on the carpet in my hall. I'm on the top floor, and when water seeps in through the roof, it travels down the walls and comes out through my hallway carpet.

Not only am I not crazy about the (I fear) permanent damage to my carpet, in November 2003 I paid $1600 in special assessments to have the roof replaced. (The new roof didn't even last as long as the refrigerator I bought in 2002.)

I have such dreams for this place! I want to modernize the bathroom. I want to make the kitchen more austere and less busy. I'd been toying with the idea of hardwood floors for the living room/dining room/hall, but now I don't know. If the floors of my fourth floor unit are going to continue to be flooded, what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.