Saturday, August 31, 2024

August Happiness Challenge -- The Last Day

Today's happiness: So much!

My 2024 Happiness Icon
The last day of Happiness Month really delivered. None of these things is huge, but they each brought me a smile.

1) 9/10 of a mile. That's how far I walked today, each way, to my shrink appointment! Usually we meet over Zoom on Tuesdays but for scheduling reasons we met in person in her office today. And I walked both to and fro. Last week at this time, I never could have walked nearly two miles on this knee. So I'm super grateful that the prescribed PT and ice are working.

2) $114. Months and months ago I got notice that my former employer had done something shady in regards to administering our 401K plans. I admit I didn't follow the allegations but I wasn't surprised because my former employer was not known for sterling ethics (I'm still mad about how my client was treated). Anyway, when asked if I wanted to join the class action suit, I checked YES. Why not? Even if I didn't win, I'd be contributing to their agita and that made me happy. Anyway, the case was resolved and I received a check for $114. It's not enough to set the world on fire, but found money is nice. Plus it's good to know that when an employer runs afoul of ERISA (The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974), there are penalties.

3) Frames in the powder room. My aunt has had a tough year. Her husband battled cancer, she had gut trouble, a Florida storm damaged their sea wall, and she's still Trumpily estranged from one son and two adult grandchildren. I've been sending her quilled greeting cards. They are beautiful, they make her feel special, and I get a 40% employee discount at the card shop. Today she sent me a photo of her powder room. She actually had the cards framed! It's happy, and humbling, that something really pretty effortless on my part brought her such joy.
 
4) Constance MacKenzie. My little Connie Cat has been beside me as I compose this post, and most of my little August Happiness stories. She's 11 or 12 years old now -- about 65 in human years, so she's a senior citizen. But she's healthy and happy and oh! So full of love. Sweet, gentle and trusting. It's a privilege to have her in my life.



Happy August Happiness Challenge!
 
Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great things to be happy about! Thank you so much for doing this. I liked it so much I think I will do it in September, too, since I missed a few days here and there. I missed the final day because we had a whopper of a thunderstorm come through and the internet was out for a while. But it made me happy to go outside and smell the rain. For a farmer, it smelled like hope.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.