Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Thursday Thirteen #360


The "it was 30 years ago today" edition. It's hard for me to believe, but 1994 was 30 years ago. According to Goodreads, these are 13 most popular books published that year.

1. One of the Money by Janet Evanovich. I started this book but never finished it. I know I'm likely alone in this, but I didn't think it was funny.

2. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

3. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. Read this one back in the day and loved it. Maybe it's time for a re-read. WARNING: Avoid the Clint Eastwood movie. Strays way too far from the book.

4. The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I remember everyone was reading this book. 30 years ago, I took the train every day/twice a day and when I looked around the car I'd see this book in the hands of commuter after commuter.

5. Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

6. Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski.

7. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. Though unread by me, I remember this book being displayed prominently in drugstores and bookstores. (Barnes and Noble and Crown Books were both a big deal back then.)

8. Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies by James C. Collins, Jim Collins and Jerry Porras.

9. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela.

10. Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan.

11. Art and Chaos by David Bayles and Ted Orland

12. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.

13. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

Do any of these titles bring back misty, water-colored memories of the way you were?



Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

5 comments:

  1. Not exactly misty water-colored memories, no. I have only read 4 (maybe 5, one I am not sure if I read or not) of these. Janet Evanovich is not necessarily funny; some of those Stephanie Plum books have been a bit depressing, although I've listened to them all. Her books are better listened to than read. Loreli King reads them and does a good job with them. Wizards First Rule is a long book, and the series loses its way on occasion. It is hard to believe that 1994 was 30 years ago. A generation ago! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 1, 3, 4, 7, & 9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only read Bird by Bird. It seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read any of them. (I tend to read books no one has ever heard of.) I do actually own Bird by Bird. My mother bought it for me. I still have not read it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Were those last two books actually from 1994? Seems like yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.