Saturday, March 30, 2024

Three Nice Things about Myself -- Day 29

My blogging buddy, Kwizgiver, wrote a post that really resonated with meShe detailed how self-care helped her helped her prevail during a (ridiculously) tough month. Her tips were very wise and so doable! So she has inspired me to take one and integrate it into my own life.

Since I can be a pretty harsh self-critic, this is the one I chose. I hope I can do this every day during March. By then it should be a habit, right?

Three nice things about myself -- March 29:

1) I am my mother's daughter. While running errands Friday, I was first greeted by name at the bank and then at Walgreen's I was teased good naturedly about my perpetual use of coupons ("Save $3 on 8 Gerber Baby Food;" my Connie Cat gets her meds melted in the Gerber Turkey every morning). While having dinner with Kathleen Wednesday, Sophie from my yoga class recognized me and waved at me through the window. Looking back on this I felt very deja mommy, because everyone knew her in that small town. While this isn't a small town, it is a community and I like that I'm a part of it.

2) I bargain shopped. I need good shoes with cushion at the heel. I asked my chiropractor what she recommended and she said, without hesitation, "Nike." So I went to DSW and got two pair (one black, one white) of Revolution 7's on sale. I think they will serve me well both at the card shop and racing up and down Hollywood Blvd. next month at the TCM Classic Film Festival. Plus, since my plantar fasciitis flare up happened to coincide with DSW's sale, I saved about $20. I like myself for hauling ass to the store, trying on shoes and saving money instead of taking the easy way and clicking at Amazon.

3) I used social media wisely. Yes, Twitter can be a hellscape. If you're into paranoid conspiracy theories and hate, you'll be at home here. (Lately it's been that the Baltimore bridge collapsed because Maryland's governor and Baltimore's mayor are black and Secretary Pete Buttigeg is gay and, therefore, incompetent.) But it does always have almost instant links to the baseball video. I skipped the ugly MAGA bullshit and stuck to the Yankees. My favorite-most ballplayer, Anthony Rizzo, executed a head's up tag and seeing him do something that smart made my day. I like myself for mastering the tool at hand without being dragged down into the Trumpy mire. That is a form of self care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.