Saturday, March 30, 2024

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Two Easter Sunday Sweethearts (1954)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a couple dressed in their "Sunday Best." Will you be getting dressed up this weekend? Define "dressed up." I'll wear a nice blouse to church tomorrow. But no Easter bonnet with frills upon it.

2) The happy couple is walking up the street arm-in-arm. Have you recently seen a couple holding hands or walking arm-in-arm in public? Were you one of that romantic duo? I saw a couple walking hand-in-hand just after sunset. Internally I went, "Aw ...."

3) This week's featured artist, Vera Lynn, was a beloved English singer who is affectionately remembered for her tireless work entertaining the troops during WWII. She famously sang "There'll Always Be an England" during outdoor concerts in Egypt, India, and Burma, even as battles raged nearby. What is your favorite patriotic song? It changes. This morning it's "Battle Hymn of the Republic." Especially the lyric: "In the beauty of the lillies Christ was born across the sea with a glory in his bosom that transfigured you and me. As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free while God is marching on." (<<< I'll never understand that fetish some have for the Confederacy.)
 
4) Though she became a celebrity at 19, Vera continued to live with her parents until she married at age 21. How old were you when you left home for good? 19.
 
Now, here are some questions in honor of this weekend's holiday ...

5) More than 1.5 million Cadbury Creme Eggs are produced every day. Do you enjoy Cadbury Eggs all year around, only at Easter, or not at all? I'm not a big fan. Though if we have them in the breakroom with the rest of the unsold Easter candy at work, I will partake. Because free chocolate is free chocolate.
 
6) Pretzels are considered a delicious Easter snack in Germany. Do you more often crave salty treats or sweet ones? Sweet.

7) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween? I don't know. I'm more of a bakery gal than a candy gal.

8) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated? I'm always happier after a shower.

9)  This year, April Fool's Day happens to follow Easter Sunday. Do you expect to fall victim to any pranks? Nope. I'm a little old for such nonsense.





 

6 comments:

  1. #3 I think that they still believe that racism is okay.
    #5 it is in grained into us from early childhood on… never pass up free chocolates!
    #6 The chocolate company that I mentioned about the salted chocolates on Cape Cod is...
    Chequessett Chocolate
    chequessettchocolate(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live down here where they worship the Confederacy (and my ancestors fought on the wrong side), and I don't understand it, either. I think it's a racist thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably more a bakery person than a candy person too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dread April Fool's Day at school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free chocolate is always a good thing. I can't eat it right now because of acid reflux and I am cutting back on refined sugars. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.