Sunday, October 01, 2023

She sounds so old!

I have been spending more time -- on the phone and online -- with my oldest friend lately. This is a relief. She is bipolar and dealing with chronic physical issues, so I worry about her. She also lives in an area where quality medical care is not readily available. 

Hearing from her is a double-edged sword, though. I know what's going on with her, which is good, but what I'm hearing doesn't delight me. She has gotten herself into a difficult situation financially and at this point in our lives, I don't see how she can rebound. She is overweight, diabetic and saddled with mobility issues. We could argue that she did this to herself, too, or at least colluded with Mother Nature to find herself here. But what good does woulda/shoulda/coulda do at this point?

It's the sound of her voice that haunts me right now. Her reedy voice makes her sound like an old woman. Maybe I sound that way, too, and just don't realize it. 

This all also makes me more grateful for what I have. I am healthier today than I was a year ago. While I'm terrible at yoga, at least I can do it and it helps my back. One of the things my instructor says each week is to think about someone who can't "be on the mat" and dedicate the practice to that person. I always think of my oldest friend or Henry. Similarly, I should start thinking of her when I look at the cup of water I keep beside me. Hydrating is the easiest thing I can do to improve my health and there's no reason not to do it.

Maybe that's what our relationship is about now. I'm here to help her through the tough times. Her example is to help me avoid pitfalls.



1 comment:

  1. Getting older is not for sissies. And recognizing that we're getting older is even moreso.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.