Saturday, January 14, 2023

Saturday 9

 
Saturday 9: Hurting Each Other (1972)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song was written by Gary Geld and Peter Udell, who also wrote 1962's "Sealed with a Kiss." What was in the last envelope you sealed? I sent a donation to PAWS Chicago to help with their good works and to thank them for the calendar now brightening my kitchen wall.

2) In "Hurting Each Other," Karen Carpenter sings she wishes she and her lover could stop making each other cry. Have you most recently shed a tear in the last week, the last month, or longer ago than that? It was in mid-December, before Christmas, when I cancelled my trip to Key West and realized I may never see my friend Henry again.


3) One of the Carpenters' first records was a cover of the Beatles' "Ticket to Ride." Both Karen and Richard were huge fans and nervous about how the Beatles would react to their version. They were thrilled to learn that Paul McCartney responded by saying Karen had "one of the best female voices in the world." Tell us some news you received recently that brightened your day. I'm excited about one of the movies announced for the 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival, and even more than that, I was happy when I was alerted to the announcement by fellow film nerds who know how much I enjoy this one. I like being part of this obsessed little community.

Russ Tamblyn will be on hand to introduce the movie

4) Karen died in 1983, but her musical partner and big brother Richard is still with us. He has said he grew up a big fan Top 40 radio, listening every morning as he got ready for school and every afternoon while doing homework. When you were a kid, did you like to study with music or the TV on? Or would you prefer quiet? I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, so white noise is my friend. It distracts me.

5) Karen and Richard spent their teen years in Downey, California. It has the distinction of being home to the nation's oldest, still-operating McDonald's. It's been on the same site on Lakewood Blvd. since 1953. Tell us about a business in your neighborhood that seems to have always been right there, in that spot. Our local movie theater has been in the same spot since 1936.

6) The siblings may have had a squeaky clean public image, but Richard did have a brush with the law while in Downey. The Carpenter family lived for a time in an apartment complex, and one of their neighbors -- a policeman -- objected to Richard "banging on the piano" at all hours. When did you most recently interact with an officer of the law? I've passed police officers on the sidewalk in our shopping district but we haven't interacted. They are very friendly, though. Usually they're chatting with someone.

7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Mark Spitz was America's premier Olympian, winning seven Gold Medals. A poster of Spitz wearing his red, white and blue swim trunks and all seven medals was a top seller. Can you recall a poster that decorated your bedroom wall when you were a kid? These very pictures adorned the back of my bedroom door beginning in 1964.

8) Also in 1972, Liza Minnelli was encouraging us to "come to the cabaret." Without looking it up, do you know who Liza's famous parents were? Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli. They fell in love while making Meet Me in St. Louis.

9) Random question: Are you a better student or teacher? Teacher


 

10 comments:

  1. I really loved the Carpenters. So sad about what happened to Karen. She did have a beautiful voice in my opinion. The first concert I ever went to was The Carpenters in Denver, Colorado, probably not long before Karen died. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have been what, 5, when you had those pictures of the Beatles?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was in 4th grade when the Beatles came on the scene in the US. I have tinnitus too. I have to have a fan on to sleep. My husband does too. We even take a fan with us when we travel. My little fan has been to Hawaii and Texas and Tahoe. I did not know Liza met her husband on the set of Meet Me in St. Louis. I like that movie. I love to see old movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen Carpenter--what a voice! I was very sad for you about Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the Sat 9 blog button. Feel free to swipe it!

      Delete
  5. So sad you knew you wouldn't see Henry again. A farewell without a goodbye. Life can be so harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay...someone who knew that Liza's father's name was Minnelli!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nearly every police officer I've ever encountered in life has been a good person. But then, I'm not a black or Hispanic person. I hope that somehow, you will be able to see, maybe by Skype even, your friend Henry again, to say goodbye. _()_

    ReplyDelete
  8. #3 I still find it funny that everything I did in the 60s is now “Classic”
    #4 My tinnitus is a hiss that never goes away and only gets louder sometimes.
    #8 I think your are the first Saturday 9er who knew her father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poster is from Peyton Place the MOVIE, which predates the TV show by years and is being screened at a classic film festival.

      Delete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.