Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Perfect timing

If you read this humble blog often, you know I've been battling the blues a bit lately. While I was doing laundry, a package arrived for me. Big, and from Target. I hadn't ordered anything. I thought it might be from my friend Mindy, who has missed my birthday by a long way this year. 

It was a surprise. A massive, wonderful surprise. It's a heated microfiber throw (aka electric blanket) from a former coworker. "Have a warm and cozy Christmas, Gal. I miss you."

She's a Hindu and an Indian citizen, so she doesn't celebrate Christmas, but this is the second Christmas gift she's given me. Back in 2014, when she was an agency newbie, her desk was near mine. We didn't work together, but because of the proximity she felt she got to know me. She watched me when I didn't know I was being observed (making me kind of like a sitcom). She heard me rhapsodizing about the new bags I wanted and bought me one! Her note said it was because I am thoughtful and "spread the holiday cheer year around." I can quote it because I still have it. I tucked it into my address book for safekeeping. 

I try, you know? Every day I try to live my faith. Or, in classic movie terms, I try to be more Melly and less Scarlett. It means a great deal to me that she sees that in me. And that she has seen it in me when I was just going about my life, without knowing she was watching.

Since covid, we haven't seen one another often. The only time we were in the office together was for major events. She was very upset that I'd been terminated. I was something of a mentor to her.

In the 8 years between the handbag and the blanket, she has had two babies, been promoted twice (she's now a director!) and has spoken and blogged about being a woman of color in American advertising. If I acted as a mentor to her in any way,  I am proud of that.

Plus, her timing was exquisite. I didn't know I needed an electric blanket. It's always very warm in here. And yet today, this electric blanket was exactly what I needed.

PS I read the comments on the post below and those lifted my spirits, too. Thank you, ladies.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love surprises! How kind. And how generous of you to be a mentor to such a lovely soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful! After reading your blog for all this time, I feel like you would be a good mentor in the advertising business. I can also tell, from what you write, that you truly try to live your Christian faith in the best way you can. I hope you have a Christmas season,knowing that you are having a positive impact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a warm fuzzy! It's great when our mentoring efforts pop up in unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.