Saturday, December 10, 2022

Merry Christmas to Sophia

I love the surprise gift I got from my former coworker. But it's the gesture, more than the electric blanket itself, that matters to me. That she thought of me and wanted me to have a Merry Christmas is what touches me. But my condo always runs hot and dry. I seldom even wear long sleeves in here, much less need an electric blanket.

So I returned it to Target and got a gift card. I didn't feel great about this, though. I don't know why, but I just didn't feel comfortable with what I'd done. On the way home I stopped at Whole Foods for some eggs. I was surprised to see their store Christmas tree. They'd had one in this spot for years, but in 2020 and 2021 there wasn't room because Amazon Locker had taken the space. The store had a remodel this year, freeing up room for the tree.

This is a special tree, decorated with little construction paper hearts from the kids at the local children's home. Some kids live there 24/7, waiting for appropriate foster homes or for their parents to get it together and take them back. Others are there because their working parents are taking advantage of the sliding scale daycare. Anyway, each heart has a kids' name, age, sizes and Wish List items. Since the children's home is, literally, next door, I'm happy to take an ornament and fulfill a Christmas wish.

I chose Sophia. She's 10. Her Wish List item is an Amazon gift card. Easy enough. But surely Santa Gal can do better for her than that. After all, I have that Target gift card in my wallet. I used it to get Sophia a green pullover. That seemed in the spirit of the season, in keeping with the intentions of the coworker who gave me the electric blanket.

Amazon gift card and a new top. That's what she asked for. But I thought about myself at 10. What was going on with me? I wanted to feel grown up. I was very into lip gloss and scents. I thought that might be true of Sophia, too.

That's when I remembered the little Body Shop strawberry gift set. I bought it during a clearance sale last spring, figuring I would give it along with a gift card to our admin for Christmas. I'm not working at the agency any more and had no use for it now. I thought the scented shower gel and body wash would be good for young Sophia. It would make her feel all girly and pretty, but it couldn't possibly be deemed "too grown up" by her parents or caregivers.

Pullover, gift card, strawberry gift set.  I feel good about this.




 

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. I don't know what happened to our local angel trees; they seem to have disappeared, or perhaps it's because I'm not in the shops to see them anymore. Now I'm buying food boxes when I go to the grocery store because I don't see the angel trees. It's not quite the same, though I'm sure it's helpful to somebody.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.