Friday, September 30, 2022

Chicken soup is good for the soul

Thursday evening, my friend Nancy and her hubs were back in my neighborhood. He wanted to get his flu/Covid shots at the same pharmacy as he had in the past. A new delicatessen just opened, and they reached out and wanted to know if I wanted to join them after his jab.

I'm so glad I said "yes." I've skipped other social events -- a baby shower and a wedding celebration -- because I didn't want to be stuck in public if the kidney stone pain hits. But the deli is just around the corner from my home, so I knew if I started to feel poorly I could be back in bed in no time. 

As a couple, Nancy and Paul both like me. I can talk work with Nancy and Paul and I share all the same pop culture touch stones (yesterday we were talking Monty Python) and sports. Plus being with them makes me happy because I knew Nancy at the end of her difficult first marriage. Seeing her so happy with Paul is life affirming.

And while this isn't by design by I think it's a plus: they're Jewish. I read a blogger who recently posted something like, "All my friends are Christians and they all read the Bible." I'm a Christian and am happy to see someone live their faith. But I'm not a fan of that lack of diversity. When discussing big issues -- like abortion -- it's important to understand that others can be just as devout as you and believe something else. Respect for those views is not only kind and decent, it's Constitutionally mandated. At a time when a phrase like "Christian Nationalism" is being tossed around this, this is important.

So I felt nourished by the chicken soup, rice pudding, conversation, laughter, and affection.


4 comments:

  1. This post is like a bowl of delicious chicken soup--it's good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it was a good outing for you. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy and Paul sound like nice people and good friends. So glad you could get together with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than some homemade chicken soup. Your dinner with your friends sounds great! I have been thinking of visiting a Messianic church in my city. Their Bible is part of the Christian bible.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.