Friday, March 11, 2022

What a thing to find out pre-St. Patrick's Day

I am not Irish. I grew up thinking I was 88% German, 12% Irish, with the Irish coming from my maternal grandmother. She believed she was 50% Irish. She wasn't.

My aunt just shared the results of her Ancestry/DNA kit. Her mother's daughter, she was expecting to find she was about 25% Irish.

No Irish whatsoever.

Mostly German, the rest nearly equal parts Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

She represents my dad's side of the family.

My mom's family always maintained they were 100% German. With what I just learned about my dad's side, I highly doubt that. 

I also wonder if I really care.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe there was something your grandmother didn't know? These DNA tests are opening up cans of worms all over the place. I've heard both Ancestry and 23 and Me have had to start counseling departments to help people cope with what they find. My own journey to meeting my biological father began with my son's DNA test and the list of genetic matches Ancestry gave him saying they shared at least one grandparent. It's very difficult to keep those deep, dark family secrets these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my DNA done a few years ago. I had always been told that I was Norwegian and German, but DNA doesn't lie. I do have some Norwegian, but mostly I am English. It isn't a big deal, but I do find it interesting. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always curious about my DNA but not enough to pay for a test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were always told we were Irish, too, but there's very little of it according to my brother's DNA test. I refuse to get it done just out of principle, but his was interesting and I assume mine would be similar.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.