Sunday, July 25, 2021

We saw this

My nephew and I spent a very hot, humid Friday at Wrigley Field ... and had a wonderful time. The looming trade deadline changed the atmosphere at the park somehow. It was the Cubs first home game after a long, unsuccessful road trip. We all know that our favorite players are on the trading block. Obviously the players know this, too. We all behaved accordingly.

On the train, I was one of three Anthony Rizzo shirts in my car alone. Two more passed me on the platform. By the time I met up with my nephew (and his Rizzo jersey) I lost count of how many Rizz's were in the park. It was in the air. We all independently, spontaneously decided to let management know he's important to us. 

A more organized show of support was given to Kris Bryant. 40 fans near the owners' seats behind the dugout all wore his jersey. When KB stood in the on deck circle, they all turned their backs so his name on their backs was visible.

Then, in the first inning, the players participated. First KB walked. Then Rizz got hit by a pitch. Javier Baez -- the third player of our much-loved Core -- got a home run and brought them home. Bryzzo waited for him at home plate and the three of them walked to the dugout together.

That was for us. And we loved it. Like the Grinch, I could feel my tiny heart growing three sizes.

Remember these names: Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo. If you hear either of them is traded, no I'm dying inside. (No offense, Javy Baez, but I just don't love you ... as much.)




2 comments:

  1. What a special team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.