Wednesday, August 19, 2020

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 19

Today's happiness -- A letter from Darius. He's the convict I correspond with through my church's prison penpal program. I hadn't heard from him in weeks, and I was worried. I've read that  few Illinois prisons have tested inmates for the corona virus, and I was afraid he'd become another victim of the pandemic.

He wrote a lonely, melancholy letter. But he's as healthy as he was in July. The whole point of this program is that he can take comfort in knowing someone out here cares about him. I realized when I saw that envelope today that I do.

PS But I don't care how lonely he says he is, I'm not going to visit him. He and I are never, ever going to be an episode of Love After Lock Up.


Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for doing this. I have started seeking pen pals to write to, but my husband doesn't want me to write to incarcerated people because I have no way to change the address, unless I go into town and rent a P.O. box. He doesn't want them to know where we live, and I can understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your husband's concern and I share it. Darius addresses his letters to me with my first name only, and they go to my church's administrative office.

      Delete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.