Sunday, October 13, 2019

That felt good

I finally heard from my oldest friend today. It's been over a month since I even saw a Facebook message from her, much less shared a conversation. It felt good to reconnect, catch up, and laugh.

She  has her health woes -- most notably her recurring bladder issues and now a broken toe -- but she's able to laugh about them. She's been incommunicado because her computer crapped out, she had to buy a new one, and the new Microsoft Word had her flummoxed. I was glad to hear that. I was afraid she was battling depression again, and when she gets dark, she can get very dark.

I updated her on me -- work woes, worry about John and Henry, money concerns, and the hole in my heart where Anthony Rizzo should be. I find that it's still, weeks after the season ended, impossible for me to have a conversation without mentioning the Cubs. I think maybe I need help.

We talked about Nanos. She is participating in Nanowrimo, too. It will be nice to have a writing buddy to compare notes with.

I feel so much better for having talked to her. I've known her since I was 4 1/2 years old. She is my touchstone. I am stronger for having her in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.