Saturday, October 19, 2019

Short but not sweet

I saw Caleb today. He was alone, Randi and Napoleon were on a different corner. Our conversation didn't go well. I'm not sure why.

He didn't seem to recognize me at first, which confuses me. I was wearing my signature Cubs jacket and I haven't changed my hair. He also didn't seem to want to talk. The news he shared wasn't good -- he hasn't worked more than a few days since August. Consequently, they lost their apartment and are back to sleeping in shelters. They hope to have enough money set aside "before November 1" for a new tent. That's all he seemed to want to share, so I didn't press.

As I dropped a $5 into his cup, I asked how Napoleon was, and he said, "huge." But he didn't smile. I squeezed his shoulder, asked him to tell his family I said "hi," and then I was on my way.

They are in my prayers.


1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well for them. How odd that the vibe was off.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.