Tuesday, October 15, 2019

October Challege -- Day 15



I'm joining Ms. Kwiz for her October blogging challenge.

Day 15: What causes a feeling of insecurity?

I'll approach this not with what, but with who, because I can think of two women who make me feel endlessly insecure about my femininity.

1) My all-time idol, JBKO. She was strong, but she made strength feminine. And then there was her visual sense.As First Lady, she restored the White House and designed the iconic exterior of Air Force One. Personally, she personified glamor -- and I have no glamor.

Not me

And here's a poem she wrote at 9 1/2. Pay attention not only to the rhyme, but to the carefully drawn border and her lettering. This was Jackie Bouvier as a fourth grader. I couldn't do this now.



The other is my friend, Joanna. She can be rather Jackiesque, in that she always knows how to tie a scarf, add a bangle, and look put together, even for an afternoon lunch at a diner. She also knows architecture and classical music (I do not).

Oh, I know I'm better informed and more astute about current events than Joanna. So it's not like I don't feel the playing field is, at least in some ways, level. But Joanna is more powerfully and conventionally feminine than I am, and that makes me insecure.


 

1 comment:

  1. This interests me--you're THE Gal and I see you as fearless!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.