Saturday, September 14, 2019

"I can't afford that and my rent."

So John keeps insisting whenever he mentions health insurance.

He was let go on August 30. He doesn't qualify for Medicare until July, 2020. COBRA insurance will cost him $500/month. He insists that's too expensive.

"I can't afford that and my rent."

This scares and infuriates me.

He is suffering from heart disease and diabetes. He's been hospitalized three times this decade. He has trouble walking. He can't keep weight on. He is on a variety of prescription meds. I don't see how he can afford NOT to continue his health insurance.

Behold John's role model.
Especially when he's still a fixture at The Hole.  He spends so much money there that they have begun giving him a discount on his food and drink. Let's say he visits there 3x/week -- and I think that's conservative. And let's assume he spends $20/night -- and I think that's conservative. That's $60. That's $260/month, right there.

Oh, yeah. And he shouldn't be drinking that much anyway.

He is trying to get his former employers to extend his coverage until he turns 65 next year. Failing that, he'll "look into Obamacare." I did some internet research and am pretty sure he qualifies for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Bronze Plan that costs $198/month. It has an insanely high deductible ($6,000!) but doctor visits would only be $50 and he could get generic drugs for $10.

John is one of my oldest friends. I do not want him to die. I do not understand why he's choosing The Hole over his health.

And I'm not even talking about the booze. He could drink at home for cheaper. I don't understand the lure of this place.

Oh, well. I sent him the Obamacare information and now I have to stop nagging him. I know what happens when I nag. He shuts me out. I don't want that. So I'll have to bite my tongue, love him, and pray. It's all I can do.

WHY, OH WHY, WON'T PEOPLE LET ME RUN THEIR LIVES?




1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.