Friday, December 28, 2018

Not as good as the original ...

... but then, how could it be? After all, Mary Poppins was practically perfect in every way.

Mary Poppins Returns is fine. Emily Blunt can't sing especially well, but she moves and speaks like Mary would. Lin-Manuel Miranda is fantastic. He sings and dances well enough for everyone ... in the world. Yes, Dick Van Dyke has a cameo, and if it doesn't touch you there's something wrong with you.

BUT the actor who plays grown-up Michael just got on my nerves. Ben Whishaw plays a weak, overwhelmed man, on the verge of losing everything and apparently heedless of the impact this will have on his three children. Whereas the original Mr. Banks was well meaning but work obsessed, the dad in Mary Poppins Returns is almost clinically depressed, wrestling with the loss of his wife and his dreams and the family home.

None of the songs is particularly memorable.

I'm not sorry I saw it. I genuinely enjoyed some parts. But I was a little disappointed and would have been just as happy to see it on video. EXCEPT that the audience applauded when Dick Van Dyke appeared as Mr. Dawes. I would have missed hearing how welcome he was.




1 comment:

  1. I can't take Colin Firth as a bad guy. But Lin-Manuel Miranda made up for any disappointments I had. His smile lit up the screen!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.