Friday, May 25, 2018

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: G.I. Blues (1960) 
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here


1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.) My dad was in a Navy corpsman in Korea. My favorite uncle was a foot soldier in Vietnam. My oldest nephew is currently a Navy Fireman (which in today's technologically advanced world, is an engineer).

2) In this song, Elvis sings about marching, and complains that the Army doesn't give Purple Hearts for fallen arches. Do you have any aches or pains to report this morning? My ankles and knees are stiff in the morning.

3) This song is from the 1960 film of the same name. In the movie, Elvis is in The 32nd Armor Regiment of the United States Army. That's the same regiment he served with in real life. He had the 32nd written into the script as a shout-out to the soldiers he came to know, but realized he'd likely never see again. Is there an old friend you're missing this weekend? I miss my oldest friend. She was worried about me on Monday and we chatted on the phone in real time Tuesday for the first time in forever. It was nice, comfortable and comforting.


4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? Baked beans.

5) Let's celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What's your favorite flavor? Cone or cup? I'd like a cup of mint chocolate chip, please.

5) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you applied mosquito repellent? I don't remember. Which reminds me, I should pick some up at the drugstore. Any suggestions for a bug spray that doesn't have an overwhelming scent?

7) Or swam? Christmas Day. I celebrated the holiday in Key West with Reg and Henry.

8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  Yup. The AC. It's gonna be hot holiday weekend here in Chicagoland.

9) Random question: How do you define success? I wrestle with this a lot. I think, ultimately, I consider my life successful when I'm happy and at peace with myself.




6 comments:

  1. A big thank you to your nephew! How nice you were able to connect with your friend. :) Enjoy your long weekend. It's a hot, humid one here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a party tomorrow and it is the one day that it is supposed to rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so into mint chocolate chip Halo ice cream. I think it is my favorite flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far no one defines success as wealthy. Hmm. I do hope you are feeling much better than you were earlier in the week. And I'm sorry you lost your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice definition of success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your definition of success. It's at that time, as you describe it, that you are most at Peace with the world.
    I forgot to say that my brother is a disabled vet, like my dad. A Fireman's job is incredibly UP there. I'm glad they are considered Engineers.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.