Friday, August 25, 2017

August Happiness Challenge: Day 25

Rizz loves love
On Day 25, I was happy for a few minutes with Napoleon. Back on Day 9, I introduced all of you to Grey and White Kitten. I look for him and the homeless person who adopted him every morning en route to work. I've given them some canned food and change and dollar bills and ... here's the thing. That cat is so calm, such a little purr box that I know the couple that care for him must be gentle and attentive. I support that. There's good in people who are good to critters.

Since Day 9, I've learned that the kitten's name is Napoleon. This morning he was curled up tight as a little fur shrimp, sleeping soundly even as traffic raced by and commuters and even dogs filed past him. He absent-mindedly purred as I stroked his head, though he didn't seem particularly interested in me. He was too sleepy.

His human told me that they pitched their tent last night near the Chicago River. He reports that it's a good thing Napoleon was tethered to a leash, because the frogs were out in force and Napoleon was out after them. That's why he was so tired this morning. And it occurred to me that, while being homeless and sleeping in a tent by the river is not necessarily desirable for humans, it's undoubtedly heaven for Napoleon.

I worry about them when it gets cold. There are shelters that allow pets, but I doubt the dogs and cats Napoleon will come in contact with have been immunized. Still, he's certainly loved and comfortable, and that makes me happy.


If you want to play along, just come back here (meaning to this blog, not this individual post) each day in August, looking for the Happy Cub. Every day I will try to have a post with the headline: August Happiness Challenge: Day [X]. Leave a comment and then post your own daily happiness, with AuSaturgust Happiness Challenge in the title to make it easy to find.

1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.