Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The word for today is ...

BLEPHARITIS.

Last night, I could have sworn I had a zit between my nose and my left eye. It's a weird place to get a pimple, yes. But when I winced -- and I winced a lot during Tuesday night's game -- that's what it felt like. I ran to the mirror and saw nothing.

This morning when I woke up, I could actually see a lump when I looked out onto the world. EW! ICK! I looked in the mirror and saw a puffy mass beside my left eye.

This has never happened to me before. My doctor doesn't have office hours on Wednesday, so I went to the walk-in clinic at Walgreens. The nurse practitioner introduced me to the word "blepharitis." In my specific case, it's a lump caused by inflammation of an oil gland in my eye lid. Not that serious, not contagious. Easily treated by drops. The NP is confident that by Thursday night, I'll look better.

I tried not to let this get me down. I mean, yes it's true that 2016 has been a horrible year for me. My health has been problematic. My bathroom is half done and will continue to be so because of more pressing financial concerns. I feel like I'm holding on to my career by my fingernails. And my friends! They have faced everything from car accidents to cancer to death this year! The consistent bright spot in my life these days -- my Cubs -- suddenly aren't shining so bright.

BUT today was unseasonably warm and I enjoyed the walk to and from Walgreens. It was sunny and the leaves are starting to turn and everything was pretty.

I live in a neighborhood where quality healthcare options are within walking distance. I have good insurance so my OOP today -- for an office visit, a flu shot and the prescription eye drops -- was less than $30. Not everyone has it so good.

It's true my home isn't how I'd like it to be -- it's fall so the drain flies have returned to my kitchen like the swallows return to Capistrano -- but my home is where my cats and my books are. And so my home makes me happy.

And Nancy was so sweet. She's definitely pulled ahead in the competition to be my new best friend. I checked in on Facebook from the clinic. Not in a "woe is me" way. In a "can you believe this shit" way. Her first response was, "Oh, no! Do you need anything?" How thoughtful is that!




3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there was a name for the lumpies I occasionally get. I have always used a hot compress.

    This post made me happy--way to live in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blepharitis is icky. But it's fun to stay--you sound like a horse with a cold. ;)

    Kwiz is right: warm compresses help, if you can stand to be still long enough--I get antsy with my eyes covered.

    Feel better soon. You're due some decent health!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that's a new one for me. I used to get sties in my eye and they are really nasty. Warm compresses helped them too. I had to laugh at Cat's comment...a horse with a cold. Definitely an interesting word. Hang in there, Gal.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.