1) The very bad day described in this song began promisingly enough. The lyrics tells us, "Woke up an optimist, sun was shining, I'm positive." How did your day begin? I slept a little late because my alarm clock's battery had worn down. The clock still worked, but the alarm never went off.
3) The lyrics request, "promise you'll pay my bail." Have you ever had to bail anyone out of jail? (Or have you been bailed out?) Golly, this happened nearly 30 years ago. My friend John was busted for smoking pot at one of Chicago's outdoor festivals. He called me that Saturday evening and told me he needed $250 or he'd have to spend the night in jail. SHIT! No one wants to spend the night in a Chicago jail. So I took $20 cab ride to bail him out, armed with my then brand-new Discover card, because the city had just begun accepting plastic for bail. What neither John nor I understood is that, when you're held on bail, you only need 10% (plus a small processing fee) to get out. All they put on my credit card was something like $27.50. He had nearly that much on him, and the cab ride cost nearly as much! As you can see, John and I weren't very street or sophisticated. It does kind of explain why I'm so shocked by how commonplace marijuana is today. I smell it daily when I take the el, or walk past my downstairs neighbor's condo when her son is home alone. I'm an old lady of a generation when you got busted for smoking pot.
4) Rihanna gets top billing in this all-star trio. She says that when she was a little girl, she used to walk around singing "A Whole New World" from Disney's Aladdin. What's your favorite song from a Disney movie?
Sometimes, when I see Trump spewing his toxic shit, I wish Julie Andrews would just spontaneously materialize to provide the good/gracious/disciplined antidote. (Do you suppose he'd tell HER it would "be a pretty picture, you on your knees?" I think not!)
5) Rihanna dated outfielder Matt Kemp when he was with the LA Dodgers. Opening Day is less than a month away. Are you a baseball fan? Uh, YEAH! Go, Cubs, go!
6) Kanye West also sings on this week's song. When he was a little boy, he spent a year in China with his mother. Have you ever lived overseas (as opposed to just visiting on vacation)? Nope.
7) Mr.West is part owner of the Fatburger chain. Do you like grilled onions on your burger? Nope.
8) This week's third artist, Paul McCartney, is a vegetarian. Think about your most recent meal. Did it include chicken, pork, or beef? Eggs or dairy? I had a bowl of cereal with milk.
9) Paul was born at 2:00 PM on a Thursday. Do you know what day of the week you were born? Do you know the exact time? Friday morning at 12:01 AM. I know this because I had to dig out my birth certificate so I could renew my passport.